2018 Schedule of Events
- Friday, February 9 | Columbus
- Wednesday, February 28 | Holdrege
- Thursday, March 1 | Ogallala
- Tuesday, February 27 | Lincoln/NASB
- Tuesday, March 20 | Lincoln/NASB
Join NASB's Legislative and Advocacy Team, along with members of NASB’s Legislation Committee, Board of Directors, and others from districts across Nebraska for our Legislative Lunches during the Legislative Session. Engage with one another, share thoughts from your districts, and here about key bills, the current schedule, coalitions that are or have the potential of forming, and other hot topics on the attendees minds.
If you would like to host a lunch in your area, let us know, as we are looking for locations in April, May and June!
NASA/NASB Education Forum
February 21-22, 2018 | Kearney
This annual conference is targeted at board members, superintendents, ESU administrators, and principals across Nebraska. The 2018 line-up included a keynote address from Dr. David Mouser titled “Focus on Impact, Teaching the Lessons that Matter”, and presentations on:
- Hiring (and Firing) Season
- Mental Health & Resiliency in Public Schools
- How the New Federal Tax Cut and Jobs Act (TCJA) Impacts Nebraska Public Schools
- Public Records and You
- Quick Payback with Continuous Cost Savings: Building Commissioning 101
- Remember the Middle: The Impact of College Prep in Grades 6-8
- Moving your Strategic Plan from Abstraction to Action
- Special Education Update--Impact of Fry and Endrew F
- And many more ...
Budget & Finance Workshop
February 28 | Lincoln
March 15 | Kearney
As a Leadership Team, it is the responsibility of both the board and Superintendent/ESU Administrator to manage the finances within their district/ESU. This workshop will feature Superintendents Matt Fisher of Northwest Public Schools and Carl Dietz of Wilcox-Hildreth Public Schools, two school finance experts, who
will share their experiences in:
- Overview of individual school funds and approved uses
- Understanding the building of a budget
- Learning how Special Education affects a budget
- TEEOSA Formula 101
- Negotiations - what can be negotiated & what to expect
- Explanation of funds and their uses
- Cash reserves
- Tax receipts by month
- How to share the budget & finance information with the community
Spring Legal Workshops
March 13 | Gering Civic Center
March 14 | Holiday Inn Express North Platte
March 28 | ESU 2 - Fremont
One of the most important tasks board members and administrators may face deals with due process hearings, including closed sessions and other legal and procedural issues. It is here where so many questions arise:
• What are the due process requirements?
• What responsibilities do board members have?
• What is the role of an administrator in a hearing?
NAEP State Convention | Growth - Resiliency - Impact
*Online registration is closed, onsite registrations are welcome!
March 20-21 | Ramada Midtown Conference Center - Grand Island
Learning, Networking, Support, Vendors & Giveaways! This year's lineup includes keynote addresses from Dr. Jolene Palmer, NDE School Safety & Security Director on "Preparing for the Difficult Situation" and Dan Meers, AKA, KC Wolf titled "Courageous Leadership - Living a Life of Influence", Dr. Beth Doll, Interim Dean, College of Education and Human Resources, University of Nebraska Lincoln on "Making Schools Resilient", as well as Breakout Sessions, Table Talks netowkring, and much more!
Annual Member Golf Outing
June 14 | Kearney Country Club
School Law Seminar
June 14 & 15 | Kearney
This popular program, geared towards board members, superintendents, ESU administrators, and lawyers across Nebraska will bring you the most recent development in school law at the state and federal levels. Thursday evening, meet and greet your peers at the exhibitor reception and a hospitality suite. Friday sessions begin at 8:00 AM.
The 2017 Agenda Included:
- Legislative Update | Brian Halstead, NDE
- Copyright Laws, Creative Commons Licensing, and the Creation of Free Textbooks | Ken Fossen
- Better Watch Your Step - A Procedural Primer for the Nebraska Student Discipline Act | Nicholas Lesiak
- Student Data Privacy | Timothy Malm & Cindy Volkmer
- Special Ed after the 2016-17 Court Term | Tim Thompson & Bobby Truhe
- Managing Off Campus Conduct - Students & Staff | Susan Sapp
- Recent Open Meetings and Records Request Issues | Jim Gessford & Justin Knight
- Injured and Ill Employees | Greg Perry & Josh Schauer
- Immigration Issues in K-12 Schools | Emma Savory & Kara Stockdale
- Effective Communication: Navigating the Intersection of Section 504, the ADA and the IDEA | Karen Haase
- Let’s Get Physical | David Kramer & Megan Neiles-Brasch
July 18 | Lincoln
An introduction to NASB staff, programs, and services, presented annually each year.
NAEP Annual Workshops
NAEP Annual Workshop occurs each July in four regional locations. These daylong workshops consist of the annual Business Meeting, Table Talk Timeouts, hot topics, and more. Features this year include Region Officer Elections; Hot Topics for Bookkeepers and Business Managers; Do you have a messy desk?; Protocol and Procedure in the Board Room; Elevate Your Skills Through EXCEL Training Made Easy!; NAEP Workflow; and SPARQ Meeting Training.
(Dates and Locations Subject to Change)
NASA/NASB Labor Relations Conference
September 2018 | Lincoln
Whether you're a novice at the bargaining table or an experienced negotiator, this conference will provide the latest information in the labor relations arena. This conference is presented annually, each September.
Sparq Data Solutions Tailgate
Join SparqData for the 3rd annual Tailgate Party during the 2018 football season! Play some bean bag toss or ladder ball and enjoy sliced brisket, pulled pork, smoked pastrami, plus a number of sides, snacks, and beverages.
Area Membership Meetings
Training | Recognition | Networking | Vision
These annual meetings provide an excellent opportunity for board members and administrators to network with other school leaders in their region, and are presented annually, from August through October.
100th Annual State Education Conference | Recognizing Our Roots & Reaching Beyond
November 14-16, 2018 | La Vista
This conference, presented annually the week prior to Thanksgiving, offers school leaders the latest in educational information and technology through such activities as preconference workshops, keynote presentations, breakout sessions, and commercial exhibits. 2017 keynotes included John O'Leary, Alex Sheen & Tom Matson.
- 3 days
- 2 Pre-conference Sessions
- 3 Keynote speakers
- 50 breakout sessions
- 90+ Exhibitors
- 1,000 Networking Opportunities
2019 Schedule of Events
Legislative Issues Conference / Budget & Finance Workshop
January 2019 | Lincoln
2018 speakers icheduled:
- Gov. Pete Ricketts
- Speaker Jim Scheer
- Sen. Mike Groene
- Sen. Bob Krist
- Sen. John Stinner
- Sen. Lynne Walz
Presented annually in January, hear from the movers and shakers inside the Legislature about the key issues affecting Nebraska's public schools, including the Governor; Commissioner of Education; the Speaker; and select Committee Chairs. Lunch with Senators will follow the morning speakers. An afternoon session on Budget & Finance will follow.
President's Retreat | "Board President - Purposeful Leader"
Presidents, and those who aspire to be President are invited to attend the NASB President's Retreat. Sunday night starts with a Social, Dinner & Training, followed by an all day work session Monday.
“Successful leadership is defined by RELATIONSHIPS and RESULTS.” - Stephen Covey