2018 Schedule of Events
Annual Member Golf Outing
School Law Seminar
June 15 | Kearney
This popular program, geared towards board members, superintendents, ESU administrators, and lawyers across Nebraska will bring you the most recent development in school law at the state and federal levels. Thursday evening, meet and greet your peers at the exhibitor reception and a hospitality suite. Friday sessions begin at 9:00 AM.
The 2018 Agenda Includes:
- Legislative Update & What’s New at NDE
- What’s New From Washington? A Federal Law Update
- The Endrew F Yo-Yo and What it Means for You
- Are Kids Safe? A Discussion of School Security Across Nebraska
- Student Walkouts and Free Speech
- When Rights Collide: Racial Taunts, Confederate Flags, and Other Areas of Conflicting Rights in Schools
- Three Kids in a Car: A Special Education Disciplinary Tale
- Sexual Harassment and “Me Too”
July 9 | Auburn
July 10 | ESU 13 - Scottsbluff
July 12 | Kearney
July 23 | Wayne
July 26 | ESU 3 - La Vista
Information coming shortly!
NAEP Annual Workshops
July 11 | Gering
July 12 | Kearney
July 17 | Lincoln
July 19 | Norfolk
NAEP Annual Workshop occurs each July in four regional locations. These daylong workshops consist of the annual Business Meeting, Table Talk Timeouts, hot topics, and more. Features this year include Region Officer Elections; Hot Topics for Bookkeepers and Business Managers; Be Fit While You Sit; New NAEP Website and Resources; NAEP Workflow; ESSA Coding; Record Storage & Retention; Task Management; Board Meetings; Maximize Your Potential A 30,000 Foot View; Cyber Safety & Security; and more!
July 18 | Lincoln
An introduction to NASB staff, programs, and services, presented annually each year.
NASA/NASB Labor Relations Conference
September 2018 | Lincoln
Whether you're a novice at the bargaining table or an experienced negotiator, this conference will provide the latest information in the labor relations arena. This conference is presented annually, each September.
Sparq Data Solutions Tailgate
Join SparqData for the 3rd annual Tailgate Party during the 2018 football season! Play some bean bag toss or ladder ball and enjoy sliced brisket, pulled pork, smoked pastrami, plus a number of sides, snacks, and beverages.
Area Membership Meetings
Training | Recognition | Networking | Vision
August 27 | Valentine
August 28 | Gering
August 29 | Kearney
September 12 | Nebraska City
September 19 | York
September 26 | North Platte
October 3 | Norfolk
October 10 | Omaha
October 17 | Fremont
These annual meetings provide an excellent opportunity for board members and administrators to network with other school leaders in their region, and are presented annually, from August through October.
100th Annual State Education Conference | Recognizing Our Roots & Reaching Beyond
November 14-16, 2018 | La Vista
This conference, presented annually the week prior to Thanksgiving, offers school leaders the latest in educational information and technology through such activities as preconference workshops, keynote presentations, breakout sessions, and commercial exhibits. 2017 keynotes included John O'Leary, Alex Sheen & Tom Matson.
- 3 days
- 2 Pre-conference Sessions
- 3 Keynote speakers
- 50 breakout sessions
- 90+ Exhibitors
- 1,000 Networking Opportunities
New Board Member Workshops
November 27 | Gering
November 28 | North Platte
November 29 | Grand Island
December 4 | Norfolk
December 5 | La Vista
2019 Schedule of Events
Legislative Issues Conference / Budget & Finance Workshop
January 2019 | Lincoln
2018 speakers icheduled:
- Gov. Pete Ricketts
- Speaker Jim Scheer
- Sen. Mike Groene
- Sen. Bob Krist
- Sen. John Stinner
- Sen. Lynne Walz
Presented annually in January, hear from the movers and shakers inside the Legislature about the key issues affecting Nebraska's public schools, including the Governor; Commissioner of Education; the Speaker; and select Committee Chairs. Lunch with Senators will follow the morning speakers. An afternoon session on Budget & Finance will follow.
President's Retreat | "Board President - Purposeful Leader"
Presidents, and those who aspire to be President are invited to attend the NASB President's Retreat. Sunday night starts with a Social, Dinner & Training, followed by an all day work session Monday.
“Successful leadership is defined by RELATIONSHIPS and RESULTS.” - Stephen Covey
NASA/NASB Education Forum
This annual conference is targeted at board members, superintendents, ESU administrators, and principals across Nebraska. The 2018 line-up included a keynote address from Dr. David Mouser titled “Focus on Impact, Teaching the Lessons that Matter”, and presentations on:
- Hiring (and Firing) Season
- Mental Health & Resiliency in Public Schools
- How the New Federal Tax Cut and Jobs Act (TCJA) Impacts Nebraska Public Schools
- Public Records and You
- Quick Payback with Continuous Cost Savings: Building Commissioning 101
- Remember the Middle: The Impact of College Prep in Grades 6-8
- Moving your Strategic Plan from Abstraction to Action
- Special Education Update--Impact of Fry and Endrew F
- And many more ...
Budget & Finance Workshop
February 28 | Lincoln
March 15 | Kearney
As a Leadership Team, it is the responsibility of both the board and Superintendent/ESU Administrator to manage the finances within their district/ESU. This workshop will feature Superintendents Matt Fisher of Northwest Public Schools and Carl Dietz of Wilcox-Hildreth Public Schools, two school finance experts, who
will share their experiences in:
- Overview of individual school funds and approved uses
- Understanding the building of a budget
- Learning how Special Education affects a budget
- TEEOSA Formula 101
- Negotiations - what can be negotiated & what to expect
- Explanation of funds and their uses
- Cash reserves
- Tax receipts by month
- How to share the budget & finance information with the community
NAEP State Convention | Growth - Resiliency - Impact
March 20-21 | Ramada Midtown Conference Center - Grand Island
Spring Legal Workshops
One of the most important tasks board members and administrators may face deals with due process hearings, including closed sessions and other legal and procedural issues. It is here where so many questions arise:
• What are the due process requirements?
• What responsibilities do board members have?
• What is the role of an administrator in a hearing?
2018 Legislative Lunches
- Friday, February 9 | Columbus
- Wednesday, February 28 | Holdrege
- Thursday, March 1 | Ogallala
- Tuesday, February 27 | Lincoln/NASB
- Tuesday, March 20 | Lincoln/NASB
Join NASB's Legislative and Advocacy Team, along with members of NASB’s Legislation Committee, Board of Directors, and others from districts across Nebraska for our Legislative Lunches during the Legislative Session. Engage with one another, share thoughts from your districts, and here about key bills, the current schedule, coalitions that are or have the potential of forming, and other hot topics on the attendees minds.