2017 Schedule of Events
- June 28 | Norfolk
- July 12 | North Platte
- August 7 | Grand Island - Career Pathways Institute - 1215 S. Adams Street - RSVP here
- August 29 | Chadron
Join NASB's Legislative and Advocacy Team, along with members of NASB’s Legislation Committee, Board of Directors, and others from districts across Nebraska for our Legislative Lunches throughout the year. Engage with one another, share thoughts from your districts, and here about key bills, the current schedule, coalitions that are or have the potential of forming, and other hot topics on the attendees minds.
NASA/NASB Labor Relations Conference
September 6-7 | Lincoln
Whether you're a novice at the bargaining table or an experienced negotiator, this conference will provide the latest information in the labor relations arena. This conference is presented annually, each September.
Area Membership Meetings
Training | Recognition | Networking | Vision
August 28 | Valentine
August 29 | Gering
August 30 | North Platte
August 31 | Kearney
September 13 | York
September 20 | Norfolk
September 27 | Fremont
October 4 | Nebraska City
October 11 | Omaha
These annual meetings provide an excellent opportunity for board members and administrators to network with other school leaders in their region, and are presented annually, from August through October.
Vision & Training Session topics include:
- Continuing the Vision ..... One Vision – One State; The Board’s Role in Developing Resilient Students; The Master Key to Managing Your Board Meetings!; Educating and Equipping Board Members; Communicating the Capitol to the Community; Negotiations – Timing and Data are Everything!; Can We Talk?
SparqData Solutions Tailgate
October 7, 2017 | Haymarket Park Parking Lot
Join SparqData for the 2nd annual Tailgate Party, Saturday, October 7, prior to the Wisconsin game! Play some bean bag toss or ladder ball and enjoy sliced brisket, pulled pork, smoked pastrami, plus a number of sides, snacks, and beverages. Mark your calendar!
99th Annual State Education Conference
November 15-17, 2017 | La Vista
This conference, presented annually the week prior to Thanksgiving, offers school leaders the latest in educational information and technology through such activities as preconference workshops, keynote presentations, breakout sessions, and commercial exhibits. 2016 keynotes included former Pittsburgh Steeler and Notre Dame halfback Rocky Bleier; Aaron Thomas; and Kevin Brown.
- 3 days
- 2 Pre-conference Sessions
- 3 Keynote speakers
- 50 breakout sessions
- 90+ Exhibitors
- 1,000 Networking Opportunities
(Dates and Locations Subject to Change)
2018 Schedule of Events
Legislative Issues Conference / Budget & Finance Workshop
January 28-29, 2018 | Lincoln
Senators who spoke in 2017 included:
- Speaker, Jim Scheer
- Education Committee Chair, Mike Groene
- Government, Military and Veteran Affairs Committee Chair, John Murante
- Appropriations Committee Chair, John Stinner
- Sen. Adam Morfeld
- Sen. Anna Wishart
Presented annually in January, hear from the movers and shakers inside the Legislature about the key issues affecting Nebraska's public schools, including the Governor; Commissioner of Education; the Speaker; and select Committee Chairs. Lunch with Senators will follow the morning speakers. An afternoon session on Budget & Finance will follow.
NASA/NASB Education Forum
February 2018 | Kearney
This annual conference is targeted at board members, superintendents, ESU administrators, and principals across Nebraska. The 2017 line-up included a keynote address from Husker Volleyball Coach John Cook, and presentations on:
- Using the Gallup Student Poll to Build Engaged Schools
- Public Relations and Promotion for School Districts
- Bullying and Hazing in Athletics
- Building the Vision for a New High School
- Engaging School and Community
- School Districts and their Foundations, Maximum Impact Relationships
- Open Meetings Gone Wrong
- And many more ...
NAEP State Convention
February 2018 | Grand Island
Breakout Sessions, Networking, Support, Vendors & Giveaways! This year's lineup includes a keynote address from Toby Tucker on “The Front Line of Defense”, as well as Breakout Sessions like Every Player Has a Role on the Team; Paperless Board Meetings & Negotiations Systems; Best Practices Board Procedures; and the Nebraska Open Meetings Law.
Board Presidents, and those who aspire to be President are invited to attend the NASB President's Retreat, “Developing a Board President Leadership Plan.” Sunday night starts with a Social, Dinner & Training, followed by an all day work session Monday.
“Successful leadership is defined by RELATIONSHIPS and RESULTS.” - Stephen Covey
Back to the Basics of School Law
Perhaps the most imposing demand society places on school board members is the requirement that they know, and adhere to, the intent and limitations of the law. Nearly everything your board does is influenced by statutory regulations.
Your board has a duty to be informed about the basics of school law and when to reach out for legal services. This workshop, taught by attorneys who work with school law on a regular basis, will get you started in the right direction by presenting basic knowledge about the law, as it directly relates to your board service.
Past years’ participants have suggested this is a “must” for all people serving in a position of school leadership. The workshop focuses on the basics: the fundamental concepts of school law which locally elected school board members need to know.
SWEAT Conference (Student Wellness Education & Training)
April 12-13 | Kearney
A student health and wellness conference with breakouts and general sessions on physical, mental and behavioral health, and how it affects your school policies.
To view a recap, photos, and download speaker presentations from the conference, CLICK HERE
This year's lineup of speakers, topics & activities included:
- Dan Meers, a.k.a KC Wolf
- Ali Khan, MD, MPH, is a former Assistant Surgeon General and current Dean of the College of Public Health at University of Nebraska Medical Center
- S.M.I.L.E about the Learning Connection: How School Meals Improve Learning Environments
- Brain Break Exercises led by Public School students
- 12 Breakouts on various health and wellness topics
Join NASB's Legislative and Advocacy Team, along with members of NASB’s Legislation Committee, Board of Directors, and others from districts across Nebraska for our Legislative Lunches monthly during the Legislative Session. Engage with one another, share thoughts from your districts, and here about key bills, the current schedule, coalitions that are or have the potential of forming, and other hot topics on the attendees minds.
Annual Member Golf Outing
June | Kearney Country Club
School Law Seminar
June | Kearney
This popular program, geared towards board members, superintendents, ESU administrators, and lawyers across Nebraska will bring you the most recent development in school law at the state and federal levels. Thursday evening, meet and greet your peers at the exhibitor reception and a hospitality suite. Friday sessions begin at 8:00 AM.
The 2017 Agenda Included:
- Legislative Update | Brian Halstead, NDE
- Copyright Laws, Creative Commons Licensing, and the Creation of Free Textbooks | Ken Fossen
- Better Watch Your Step - A Procedural Primer for the Nebraska Student Discipline Act | Nicholas Lesiak
- Student Data Privacy | Timothy Malm & Cindy Volkmer
- Special Ed after the 2016-17 Court Term | Tim Thompson & Bobby Truhe
- Managing Off Campus Conduct - Students & Staff | Susan Sapp
- Recent Open Meetings and Records Request Issues | Jim Gessford & Justin Knight
- Injured and Ill Employees | Greg Perry & Josh Schauer
- Immigration Issues in K-12 Schools | Emma Savory & Kara Stockdale
- Effective Communication: Navigating the Intersection of Section 504, the ADA and the IDEA | Karen Haase
- Let’s Get Physical | David Kramer & Megan Neiles-Brasch
July 19 | Lincoln
An introduction to NASB staff, programs, and services, presented annually each year.
Open Meetings Law Workshops
2017 Meetings were held across the state in locations like Thayer Central Elementary; North Platte High School; Scottsbluff High School; Kearney High School; The Career Academy - Lincoln; Blair Administration Office; and the Norfolk Public Schools Administration Building.
Nebraska law requires that all public bodies comply with the Open Meetings Act, which includes detailed requirements regarding Notices of Meetings, Agendas, Minutes, Closed Sessions, Special and Emergency Meetings and Public Comment. Matthew Dunning, NASB’s Legal Counsel and members of the Nebraska Council of School Attorneys will conduct these workshops, including an interactive analysis of factual scenarios based on Attorney General disposition letters and questions received by the NASB. Questions and discussion are encouraged!
NAEP Annual Workshops
NAEP Annual Workshop occurs each July in four regional locations. These daylong workshops consist of the annual Business Meeting, Table Talk Timeouts, hot topics, and more. Features this year include Region Officer Elections; Hot Topics for Bookkeepers and Business Managers; Do you have a messy desk?; Protocol and Procedure in the Board Room; Elevate Your Skills Through EXCEL Training Made Easy!; NAEP Workflow; and SPARQ Meeting Training.