NASB Legislation Committee
The Legislation Committee of the Nebraska Association of School Boards (NASB) exists to formulate and advance the legislative goals and positions for the NASB member organizations.
The Committee consists of not less than 21 and not more than 26 members (currently 25). The NASB President, President-Elect (Committee Chair) and Vice President (non-voting member) sit on the board, along with 15 to 20 elected or appointed seats from NASB member school boards, four appointed members from the NASB Board of Directors and one member elected from the Nebraska Educational Service Unit Board Association (NESUBA). There are also four elected or appointed alternative seats. Each of the elected or appointed seats from NASB member school boards represent various districts grouped by similar size and student population.
The election process for the Committee will be handled through our online election process via our website and begins on February 1st with nominations from our members. The nomination period runs from February 1st through March 25th for those seats that are up for election in that particular year. The approval of the nomination will be handled by the President or Vice President of that member board and will be open for approval from March 26th through April 29th.
Per the NASB Bylaws, Article X, section 5, if a candidate is unopposed, no ballot shall be distributed to the member boards. If more than one candidate is submitted for a particular seat on the Committee, voting will commence on April 30th and will be completed by June 1st. If a tie vote occurs, the NASB Nominating Committee Chair shall break the tie by draw of lots. Each candidate who receives the second highest number of votes in the election shall be eligible to act as an alternate member of the Committee in the absence of the person elected to that position. If a tie vote occurs for an alternate position, the Nominating Committee Chair shall break the tie by draw of lots as well. Each committee member and alternate will only serve a three year term and multiple terms may be served.
To find your NASB Legislative Committee representative, please click here.
2017-18 NASB Legislation Committee
- Lanny Boswell - 2017 President-Elect - Chair
- Linda Richards - 2017 President
- Steve Blocher - 2017 Vice President/Non-Voting Member
- Lou Ann Goding - Member #1 - Omaha
- Ben Perlman - Member #2 - Omaha
- Lacey Merica - Member #3 - Omaha
- Connie Duncan - Member #4 - Lincoln
- Kathy Danek - Member #5 - Lincoln
- Linda Poole - Member #6 - Millard
- Dan Brosz - Member #7 - Grand Island
- Beth Morrissette - Member #8 - Westside
- Tim Higgins - Member #9 - Kearney
- Tresha Rodgers - Member #10 - Ralston
- Laura Schneider - Member #11 - Hastings
- Larry Grosshans - Member #12 - Norris
- James O’Rourke - Member #13 - Chadron
- Lisa Wagner - Member #14 - Central City
- Steve Koch - Member #15 - Hershey
- Jim Vlach - Member #16 - Lyons-Decatur
- Christopher Waddle - Member #17 - Giltner
- Glen Larsen - Member #18 - ESU #9/NESUBA
- Dana Blakely - Region 2 Director - Westside
- Pat Conway-Boyd - Region 8 Director - Papillion-LaVista
- Brad Wilkins - Region 15 Director - Ainsworth
- Patti Gubbels - Region 16 Director - Norfolk