Bills to Follow
Legislative Bills for the 106th Legislature, 2nd Session
The 2020 Legislative Session is underway.
During the first part of the 106th Legislature (2019) NASB had roughly 100 of the Sessions 754 bills and measures on our radar, with around 30 we supported in front of their respective Committee's, and around 15 we opposed. NASB is continuing to work with our education partners to disect the various tax discussion to continue to voice that whatever bill(s) come out need to break the narrative that spending is the problem, they must benefit ALL schools, and that for any meaningful property tax relief, there has to be alternative revenue sources.
2019 HaD new faces and new places
- 13 seats were new for 2019 as 6 Senators were term-limited, 2 did not re-run, 3 incumbents lost their election, and 2 won other elections.
- 88% of the body had four years or less experience, as 43 of 49 are new as of 2014.
- The make-up of the Committee's and Committee Chairs look somewhat different than last year
- Sen. Jim Scheer of Norfolk was re-elected to serve as the Speaker
- Your Chair of the Education Committee for the next two years is once again Sen. Mike Groene of North Platte
- Sen. Lynne Walz, Vice Chair; Sen. Tom Brewer; Sen. Rick Kolowski; Sen. Lou Ann Linehan; Sen. Adam Morfeld; Sen. Dave Murman; Sen. Patty Pansing Brooks
- The Government, Military and Veteran Affairs Committee will be Chaired by Sen.Tom Brewer of Gordon
- Sen. Mark Kolterman of Seward will continue to be the Chair of the Nebraska Retirement Systems
- Chair of the Revenue Committee will be Sen. Lou Ann Linehan of Elkhorn