Serving in your community and being an advocate for public education is one of the most rewarding, worthwhile things you can do with your time. We’re glad that you’re interested in becoming a board member for your local school district! The first step is simply to become informed. NASB is here to provide essential information and answer your questions.
IS BOARD SERVICE RIGHT FOR ME?
To help answer this most important question, we are happy to share our short publication Preparing to Serve, linked below. The section titled “Board Governance” on page 6 details the roles and responsibilities of a school board member. This free resource also explains the function of a school board, NASB’s Board Leadership Standards (a framework that describes excellence in school governance), a sample board code of conduct, and more!
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ELECTION PROCESS?
In Nebraska, school board election procedures vary depending on school district classification. Contact your local county clerk’s office to find out your district’s classification and to inquire about how you can obtain the necessary forms to file for office. You can then refer to our School Board Elections 2020 (pdf) document to carefully review the election process details that are specific for your district.
IMPORTANT ELECTION DATES
The dates for the 2020 election are listed below. Please review carefully as some important deadlines are quickly approaching! Keep this calendar for your reference by downloading and saving our printable version.
- December 2, 2019 - First day an individual may file for office to have their name placed on the ballot as a candidate at the 2020 election. (§32-606)
- January 6, 2020 - Last day for political subdivisions [the school board] to notify the Secretary of State, county clerks or election commissioners of offices to be filled, terms, vacancies, votes to cast, and filing deadlines for each office. (§32-404 and §32-601)
- February 18, 2020 - Last day for incumbents (any current office holder) to file for office on the primary ballot. (§32-606)
- March 2, 2020 - Last day for non-incumbents (new filers) to file for office on primary election. (§32- 606)
- May 12, 2020 - Statewide Primary Election (§32-401)
- June 15, 2020 - ESUs holding elections in conjunction with the statewide general election must notify the Secretary of State, county clerks or election commissioners of offices to be filled, terms, vacancies, votes to cast, and filing deadlines for each office. (§32-404 and §32-601
- July 2020 - NASB Candidate Seminar: The Board Leadership staff will present this free seminar that provides an overview of the roles and responsibilities of board members.
- July 15, 2020 - Last day for incumbents (any current office holder) not on the Primary Ballot to file. (§32-606) educational service unit board members; class II schools.
- August 3, 2020 - Last day for non-incumbents (new filers) to file for office. (§32-606) educational service unit board members; class II schools.
- November 3, 2020 - Statewide General Election (§32-403)
SUPPORT DURING YOUR CANDIDACY
Each election year, NASB offers a free online seminar for candidates designed to provide an overview of your roles and responsibilities as a board member. With this interactive webinar, you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and participate in discussion. Our desire is to set you up for success when it comes time to enter into board service!
- July 27 | 6:00 to 7:30 PM
- September 21 | 6:00 to 7:30 PM
- October 12 | Noon to 1:00 PM
Registration for the Candidate Webinars is now open!
Filing dates and deadlines: www.sos.ne.gov/elec/genvoterinfo.html
Candidates information: http://www.sos.ne.gov/elec/candidateinfo.html
Local county clerk’s office/ election commissioner: http://www.sos.ne.gov/elec/clerks.html
NASB Social Media Accounts for Networking, News, Videos & Upcoming Events