Legislative Issues Conference
January 22-23, 2023
Embassy Suites Lincoln
2023 LIC Mailer (pdf)
New Governor ... 16 New State Senators ... New Speaker ... New Committee Chairs ... Two New Faces on the State Board of Education ... New Commissioner of Education ... New AG ... New Faces in DC ... New Faces On Your Board. Presented annually, hear from the movers and shakers inside the Legislature about the key issues affecting Nebraska's public schools. The Governor’s Office, Speaker, key Committee Chairs, a number of other Senators and education stakeholders are invited to share their respective views throughout the morning. See what key bills are in play and get a first hand look at anything that will have an impact on public education in Nebraska during this year’s legislative session.
Sunday, January 22
- 6:00 PM Reception, Dinner & Program
- Hospitality event to follow
- “Up The Mountain” with Senators Tom Brewer & Justin Wayne. Black. White. Native. Male. Female. Urban. Rural. Conservative. Progressive. In the fall of 2021, five Nebraska legislators from different walks of life and different political perspectives spent months preparing to climb the legendary Mt. Kilimanjaro. To succeed, they had to set aside partisan and cultural differences to make an unbreakable team. Their hard work and cooperation got them to the top of the mountain and left them with lessons and memories for a lifetime. See what they learned from the mountain and from each other.
Monday, January 23
The Governor, key Committee Chairs and a number of other Senators have been invited to share their respective views throughout the morning. Get a firsthand look at all the bills introduced that will have an impact on public education in Nebraska during this year’s legislative session.
- 8:00 AM - Registration
- 8:30 AM - Welcome & Introductions - NASB President, Kim Burry
- 8:35 AM - Speaker Arch
- 8:45 AM - Bill Overview
- 9:45 AM - Senator Walz
- 10:00 AM - Senator Hansen
- 10:40 AM - Senator Brewer, Government, Military and Veterans Affairs Chair
- 10:50 AM - Senator Murman, Education Chair
- 11:05 AM - Senator Linehan, Revenue Chair
- 11:25 AM - Senator Briese
- 11:35 AM - School Finance Reform Working Group Discussion with Brad Wilkins & Ed Swotek
- 11:45 AM - Advocacy & Engagement
- 12:00 PM - Lunch with the Senators - This year's lunch will have open seating, as opposed to sitting with a particular senator.
- 1:30 PM - Adjournment
(Speaker list subject to change)
TO REGISTER FOR AN NASB EVENT, CLICK ON THE 'MY MEMBERSHIP' LINK ABOVE OR BELOW, THEN NAVIGATE TO THE 'EVENTS' DROPDOWN AND SELECT 'REGISTER'. TO LEARN MORE ABOUT AN EVENT, CLICK THE LINK IN THE MENU ON THE RIGHT.