School boards must exercise their responsibilities in an increasingly complex legal environment. The Nebraska Association of School Boards understands this reality. The Association offers its members free access to an attorney who will answer basic legal questions. NASB's legal counsel*, Jennifer Jorgensen, aims to provide sound legal information and high-quality workshops to Nebraska school boards and administrators. NASB's legal counsel is available to visit about day-to-day legal questions such as bargaining, boardsmanship, conflict of interest, personnel matters, open meetings and open records, student discipline, and when legal counsel should be hired.
The Legal Services Program does NOT include the following:
- Legal counsel to Districts/ESUs;
- Legal representations at any level (board meetings, hearings, or in court);
- Review of contracts, negotiated agreements, or other legal documents;
- Drafting legal documents;
- Legal representation when “the other side” has a lawyer; and
- Legal representation when “the other side” is another member school district.
- The Nebraska Association of School Boards also offers an array of seminars and workshops that help school boards and administrators understand their legal environment, to keep up-to-date with new and emerging legal developments, and to anticipate, prevent, and overcome legal challenges.
For more information, and to reach NASB's legal counsel, please contact:
Nebraska Association of School Boards
1311 Stockwell Street | Lincoln, NE 68502
402-423-4951 | 800-422-4572
*The NASB Legal Counsel is not empowered to give specific legal advice.