Seminars & Workshops
Recent legal workshops include:
New Board Member Workshops
- Offered in even years following an election.
- This will be an interactive work session for newly elected board members covering Board Governance Roles and Responsibilities, Policy, School Law, Advocacy, and more. This session also provides a great review for those who have experience on the board.
- Offered in Odd Years
- This workshop offers your board or council the opportunity to learn about the intricacies of this law and have the opportunity to ask questions of NASB’s Legal Counsel, who will provide information regarding agenda, notice, minutes, closed session, special meeting, emergency meeting, and public comment in addition to answering questions from attendees.
The Association also partners with the Nebraska Council of School Attorneys to offer the following legal workshops:
Back to the Basics of School Law
- Offered in Odd Years
- Perhaps the most imposing demand society places on school board members is the requirement that they know, and adhere to, the intent and limitations of the law. Nearly everything your board does is influenced by statutory regulations. Your board has a duty to be informed about the basics of school law and when to reach out for legal services. This workshop, taught by attorneys who work with school law on a regular basis, will get you started in the right direction by presenting basic knowledge about the law, as it directly relates to your board service. Past participants have suggested this is a “must” for all people serving in a position of school leadership. The workshop focuses on the fundamental concepts of school law which locally elected school board members need to know, not “hot” topics or the latest developments.
The School Board as Judge and Jury Workshop
- Offered in Even Years
- This is a workshop dedicated to informing school boards of their roles and responsibilities surrounding their quasi-judicial powers.
School Law Seminar
- Offered in June Every Year
- This popular program, geared towards board members, superintendents, ESU administrators, and lawyers across Nebraska will bring you the most recent development in school law at the state and federal levels.
- For more information on this workshop and/or to register, please visit http://members.nasbonline.org/Events/SitePages/SchoolLawSeminar.aspx for more information.
To learn more about these, and other conferences, workshops and meetings throughout the year, visit NASB's EVENTS