Columbus Public Schools
High School Administration - Assistant Principal
- Master's Degree with a major in educational administration.
- Valid Nebraska certificate to practice as a school principal or is eligible for one.
- Some demonstrated successful experiences in supervising and working with adolescents outside of a classroom setting.
SUPERVISES UNDER THE PRINCIPAL’S DIRECTION:
- Teaching staff and paraprofessionals.
- Other professional staff.
- Student body.
- Non-professional school staff
- Other resource and service personnel while functioning in the assigned school.
JOB GOAL: By the use of leadership, supervisory and administrative skills, manage assigned school so as to promote the educational development of each student.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES - MAINTENANCE:
- Serves as a member of the Building and Administrative Teams.
- Budgets school time to provide for the efficient conduct of school instruction and business.
- Plans and supervises fire drills, tornado drills and emergency preparedness programs.
- Supervises the preparation of all school reports for the Principal and District Offices as requested.
- Keeps abreast of changes and developments in the profession by attending professional meetings, reading professional journals and other publications, and discussing problems of mutual interest with others in the field.
- Periodically advises the Building Principal of problems in the operation of the building and recommends courses of action to mediate those problems.
- Responsible for the direction of the school's pupil personnel programs in attendance/discipline.
- Responsible for assisting the Activities Director in the supervision and administration of the extracurricular program.
- Acts as a liaison between the school and the community, interpreting activities and policies of the school and encouraging community participation in school life.
- Makes arrangements for special conferences between parents and school personnel.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES - MAINTENANCE:
- Assists in the supervision of the school's educational program.
- Provides leadership for the development, revisions and evaluation of the curriculum when so assigned.
- Assists in the recruiting, screening, hiring, training, assigning and evaluating of the school's professional staff.
- Assists in the in-service, orientation and training of teachers.
JOB GOAL - PERSONNEL:
- Selection, appraisal and improvement of instructional staff performance.
- Assists in the selection and screening of potential staff members to fill positions when appropriate.
- Evaluates and counsels assigned professional staff regarding individual performance to provide the best educational opportunities for students.
- Supervises assigned professional, paraprofessional and non-professional personnel attached to the school.
- Assists in the orientation of new staff members.
- Conducts meetings of the staff necessary for the proper functioning of the school.
- Has demonstrated competency in Clinical Supervision.
- Trained in and knowledgeable of District recruitment and selection procedures.
- Assists in the recommendation for the removal of a teacher whose work is unsatisfactory according to established District procedures.
- Assists in the responsibility for the safety and administration of the school plant.
- Assists in the implementation and observation of all Board Policies and Regulations by the school's staff and students.
- Maintains high standards of student conduct and enforces discipline as necessary, according to due process to the rights of the students.
- Asserts leadership in times of civil disobedience in school in accordance with Board Policy.
- Supervises the maintenance of accurate records on the progress and attendance of students.
- Assists in the direction of the activities of the Student Study Teams.
- Works with the Central Office on problems of a District nature when so requested.
- Attends special events held to recognize student achievement and attends school-sponsored activities, functions and athletic events.
- Develops, supervises and directs those programs for the more efficient operation of the building as assigned by the Building Principal.
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT:
Shari Becker - Director of Search Service
Nebraska Association of School Boards
1311 Stockwell Street - Lincoln, NE 68502