School Board Member Week
January 21-28, 2024
Thank You School Boards!!!!!
The week of January 21-28, 2024 will serve as School Board Recognition Week in Nebraska. Thanks to the 1,700 locally elected volunteers who make up the Board of Education for Nebraska's Public Schools and ESUs. Through their leadership, innovation, vision and engagement, they make Nebraska a better place to live.
NEBRASKA SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER WEEK
WHEREAS, 1,700 locally elected Nebraska citizens currently volunteer their time to serve on local public school boards throughout the state; and
WHEREAS, Members of various age, race, demographic and professional backgrounds representing one Nebraska encourage and strengthen their districts, communities and the state by supporting teacher innovation and student achievement; and
WHEREAS, Board members must bring their communities to consensus on a vision for its schools, and use that vision to meet the current and future needs of our children; and
WHEREAS, The local board of education is a uniquely American institution that has made the public schools both flexible, responsible and accountable to the needs of the local communities, our state, and our nation while keeping alive the American ideal of representative government; and
WHEREAS, School board members serve in this representative government first and foremost as trustees for our children; and
WHEREAS, All Nebraskans should recognize and acknowledge the significant contributions made by our locally elected school board members, who work to ensure the delivery of quality education for our children.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Jim Pillen, Governor of the State of Nebraska, under the authority vested in me by law and in accordance with the established custom, DO HEREBY PROCLAIM SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER WEEK in Nebraska and I do hereby urge all citizens to take due note of the observance.
Did You Know
- 79% of Nebraska’s 1,700 locally elected School Board Members serve at or within 100 miles of where they graduated ... with 51% serving AT the district they graduated from.
- 74.63% of school board members would you consider themself as someone connected to/engaged in production agriculture or agribusiness
- U.S. Senator Deb Fischer was President of NASB in 1998 and served on the Board of Directors from 1994-2000
- 58% of school board members have school-aged children in K-12
- 68% of board members in Nebraska are between the ages of 36 and 55
- 64% of board members have served between 1 to 8 years
- 4% of Nebraska’s 1,700 school board members have served their board for more than 20 years
- On average, a school board in Nebraska is 37% female and 63% male
- 15% of Nebraska’s school boards are served by a female majority
- 3 of Nebraska's school boards are all female
- 6% of Nebraska’s school boards are all male